Thursday, March 17, 2022

15th Airborne Battalion of Army of the Republic of Vietnam and the young DaLat military officers by Nguyen Van Thanh

15th Airborne Battalion of Army of the Republic of Vietnam and the young DaLat military officer

by Nguyen Van Thanh

Today is February 21, 2022. Two more months from now, April 21, I got to carry the rank of Second Lieutenant; 47 years ago. Nine days later, April 30. After trying to walk around for about 30 minutes, I sit down at my desk to write, and record the history of the 15th Airborne Battalion of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, under the command of the hero Thuong Duc; Major Nguyen Van Phu, Disbanded surprisingly at around 11:15 a.m. on April 30, 1975, somewhere in Saigon of which name I did not know.



 Maybe it's a densely populated area to the southeast of Tan Son Nhat airport. As an old man over 70 years old, my memory is not very clear. In addition, Saigon was being a foreign land for me.
 
Now remaining in my memory:" Short days at Long Thanh base, Hoang Hoa Tham parachute camp, Cay Mai camp (base of 15th Parachute Battalion), operating area on the edge of Saigon Citadel (Southeast of Tan Son Nhat airport), Fatima Binh Trieu parish church (northeast of Tan Son Nhat airport), the garrison area on the other side of Binh Trieu bridge (south of Binh Trieu Bridge, east of Tan Son Nhat airport) to keep the capital
Saigon security. The mixed army from all over the battlefields of the Northeast continued to flow like a waterfall, increasing in numbers time to time.
What will come will come???
 The surrendered sound of the General "Duong Van Minh" was broadcast on Saigon radio. That's it!!! My military career was ended from here, and it was also the day when the Vietnamese people had to dive in the Dark until an unknown time."
         
    Now I begin to recount, redraw, record the cruelty to the 15th Airborne Battalion of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam; of which I was a part carrying that "Wound There is No Cure" until now.
 
1. Long Thanh base:
On April 21, 1975, the course 28th and 29th of the Vietnamese National Military Academy were ordered to graduate sooner. We received the order to graduate
in the dying breath of our mother Academy and the South Viet Nam.

Also on this day, President Nguyen Van Thieu had to resign. A certain force colluded with the international Communists, and replaced General Duong Van Minh.

We consisted of 4 courses: 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st came here shortly after a one-of-a-kind evacuation of the Vietnam National Military Academy, a terrible evacuation. While we were still shocked, the order to early graduate was like a thunderclap.

The course 28th and 29th were like flocks of chickens about to lose the mother. Only pity for Course 30th and Course 31st, because we were the ones they put their trust in. Losing us, what would they do? Did they know how? It seemed that this was the love of the Vietnamese National Military Academy. Younger course cadets often considered the older
course cadets as a guideline for their military life. Two Courses 30th and 31st staggered back and forth asking for news about graduation.

Graduation is 100% accurate news.
 
It was now dusk, about seven or eight o'clock in the evening. Groups of five, three, rushed to discuss. The one who said goodbye, blessing. The night was still clear, not a single drop of rain outside. The wind was still blowing like any other day while the sound of exploding bullets came from afar; made people unsettled. In our hearts, the rain was dripping, drop by drop.

A sleepless night had passed in anxiety and sadness. What would be our fate and the fate of the country? The atmosphere of Long Thanh camp seemed to be about to explode because of this bad news.

The next morning, April 21, 1975, we were ready for the rank of Second Lieutenants. When the sun rose up, we seriously lined up as if to accept an important responsibility entrusted by the people of the South.

Far from the graduation ceremony of senior course cadets like
course 26th and course 27th, which we attended their graduation ceremony at the Vietnamese National Military Academy. We did not have hats and belts, no banners, no trumpets and drums, and no loved ones to attend. And most of all, we did not have a memorial service, did not hear the prayer for the martyrs. In addition to the sobbing tears of the two juniors; the course 30th and 31st, the lamentations of the seniors who had experienced fighting; guided us.
 
 The graduation ceremony was unique; simple, but no less formal, no parade, no speech. We were in the position with the fighting uniforms and military helmets.
 
Lieutenant General Nguyen Bao Tri, General Director of General Department of Military Training presided over the graduation ceremony for the course 28th and 29th. The rank of Second lieutenant was assigned to the course 28th and 29th at Vu Dinh Truong of the Long Thanh Infantry School.

   
The course 28th graduated with the rank of Second Lieutenant, including 255 new Second Lieutenants. The head of the course 28th was Second Lieutenant Ho Thanh Son, whose name was: "Colonel Nguyen Dinh Bao".

   
The course 29th graduated with 291 new Second Lieutenants. Course 29th was named "Major Hoang Le Cuong", the valedictorian was Dao Cong Huong.

It's still bright. Occasionally, barrages of artillery fire from a distance, bringing the sound to where we were selecting units, like intimidation. Listless and worried, but we could not hide the resoluteness of a man in the rebellion:
"We do not wish for easily peace,
but only Thirst to fight in Danger".
 
I anxiously and anxiously waited for my unit selection session. One person selected, then another selected. Not knowing where my fate was; because choosing a unit when graduating from military academy affects the entire military career of a young military officer of the Vietnam National Military Academy.
 
My heart was like a fire for choosing the battlefield. Then my name was also pronounced clearly.

I walked without confidence, forward. My eyes lit up, and my soul seemed to wake up. Two Parachute positions were still vacant. Immediately, I shouted:
- "Airborne Division!
- Airborne Division!" The loud sounds rang out as if to support my choice.

So my life would be entrusted to the Airborne Division in the dying of the South Viet Nam. Skydiving position only one place left when I returned to my standing position. The sound of the next name, calling sounded. The new second lieutenant excitedly shouted:
- "Airborne Division!
- Airborne Division!
- Airborne Division!" So there were no more Airborne Division positions left in
the course 28th.
 
Back to unit selection. Someone selected Parachute, someone selected Rangers, or Marines, and so on. Guns were waiting for us. 

While we were selecting units, out there, GMC cars were waiting for moths; ready to go to the front. The sun was risen above the head. The engine of the GMCs also started.
 
2. Hoang Hoa Tham Camp:

On the afternoon of April 21, 1975, we were brought to Hoang Hoa Tham camp with the despair of
the course 30th and 31st, and the longing of the eldest brother military officers. Meanwhile, other units were also received solemnly, but hurriedly; about their unit. On the GMC car, I didn't bother to look at anyone in my anxiety and shock. I did not remember anyone at that time. I understood that; I was going and going to the real battlefield. An inevitable bloodshed. Blood and blood would take place before my eyes in the near future. Death was certain, because the Communists had overpowered Saigon. My mother, brothers and sister were also worried a lot. What I predicted was that they were on the run from Qui Nhon to the South? I did not know how they were in this life-and-death situation?
 
The GMC car overcame all roads and street corners. People was busy going up and down as if they were worried, preparing something great was about to happen to them. They waved goodbye as our car passed. Their eyes seemed to be sad, afraid, and happy and hopeful. The intersection of Bay Hien was quiet, scary silence. The gate of Hoang Hoa Tham camp, did not hide the seriousness of an area; was the battlefield that was about to happen in the next some days. So we went to Hoang Hoa Tham camp, where our course 28th came here to practice skydiving, and was urgently called back by the Vietnamese National Military Academy last month.
 
We were ordered by the Parachute officer:
- "You are allowed to relax today (April 21, 1975). Tomorrow morning (April 22, 1975), you will fully assemble here, exactly at 8 a.m., and you will be sent to your unit."
 
All young second lieutenants; like a caged bird. The former, the latter disappeared in silence, after the joyful and tragic cheers.

I looked back and forth, I saw that I was the only one standing. Where did I go? Going where? The Parachute Camp had now sunk into gloom.
 
The first thing I did was finding my way to the market in the Parachute family area, buying a Parachute uniform and a Red hat. So I suddenly became a Parachute officer for a moment.

How else? How to make busy to the end of the afternoon and tonight? I had always been lonely son (later in prison the same). I squirmed and whirled around, looked forward, looked backward. Perhaps the place where I was standing was the family quarters of the high-ranking Parachute officers. The other side; around 70 or 80 meters, seemed to be the Judo, or Taekwondo practice location?
 
It was still light in the afternoon. The sound of transport planes, jets, and helicopters constantly were going up and down as if to support certain battlefields? Long Khanh or the battlefield on the outskirts of Saigon? My ears heard explosions tearing the sky; continuously sent from the northeast. My heart tightened. Some air force heroes died at the 22nd hour ? 

Suddenly my eyes lit up with joy. From afar, senior Nguyen Chi Hao, course 27th, was cheerful; gladly walked towards me. I gleefully walked towards the elder; like meeting a loved one in a turmoil.
Hao was overjoyed and shook my hand:
- "Thanh. Are you a member of Airborne Division?" I like meeting a brother, laughing:
- "Yes. Sir. I selected Airborne Division."
Elder Hao:
- "Which Battalion do you join? Do you know?"
- I said: "I don't know yet. I'll find out tomorrow. At eight o'clock tomorrow morning."
I asked about Hao's unit, and got an answer, but until now I could not remember clearly, even the last name of Hao I still did not remember.
 
Hao and I were fortunately to meet each other at the Vietnamese National Military Academy in the situation of people; the lonely sons being far from home. Hao; a little thin,  but not very tall. The special thing that I loved about Elder Hao was his sincerity and gentleness. Hao was a pious lamb of God. During the period of course 27th was in the Vietnamese National Military Academy. We had the opportunity going to the street together, wading around the Hoa Binh neighborhood of Da Lat, going around Cam Ly waterfall, and so on.

Two young cadets away from home; solitary, found each other in the love of the Vietnamese National Military
Academy. Until the course 27th was about to graduate, we often asked each other about choosing military units. And we promised each other that we would meet at Hoang Hoa Tham camp. Today. We have fulfilled our promise.
 
But seeing him here, what would happen tomorrow? The country was in trouble. The enemy was raiding everywhere, while our troops had no ammunition left. The US government had long since cut off aid. How did we fight against the enemies? I braced myself for the most tragic situation. Having enough Ammo was fine. No more ammo was also good. The thing we had no choice was fighting until the last bullet and accepting anything happening.
 
We loved each other so much. We had to break up. We each had a responsibility. I stood and watched in the footsteps of the elder, but my heart was broken and speechless. The shadow of the deceased, I silently prayed:
"May God and Buddha protect us both from this war."
 
After 47 years, I tried to find that lovely man again. But no news at all. Wishing you and your family were in peace, and all the best.
 
The shadow of the man disappeared on the other side of the road. I still stood. I stood as sun grown. My legs couldn't move. Hoang Hoa Tham Camp was covered with a layer of colorless clouds. And then, I started walking, walking. Where to go? How to end tonight? I walked towards the gate of Hoang Hoa Tham camp but my heart ached.        
 
Me and me. Heaven and earth were immense. Where for me to go now? tonight? and then tomorrow? I had reached the gate of Hoang Hoa Tham. Turning left or turning right made no sense to me. I had no direction. That was the most tragic thing in human life. Left could not be done, right
could not be done. So I turned left. I was on the left side of the road and I did not know the name of the road was. A hospital appeared in front of me, across the street. It was "Hospital for the People?". Was it the Hospital for the People? I was not sure. I crossed the street, and followed the right side of the road, which I still did not know the name of.
 
I stepped. I waded, just going and going. I felt lost in a planet without humans. People, like they're preparing for something; hastily; hurry. They walked like a run, in fear, in panic, but they had a goal. Me? I walked leisurely, as if everything happening around me didn't affect me at all. Even though the sky was full of landslides. The sound of bullets exploded, the sound of planes took off and landed echoed around here. The light was on and off of several helicopters in the sky; The northeast flashed, followed by angry rounds of bullets that seemed to vent their anger at someone on the battlefield.

In front of me, the night light dimmed, shown red and blue like to turn off at any time. A gentle breeze passed by and made me shiver. I, The young military officer had just graduated from military Academy less than a week ago.
 
We were young military officers, who graduated sooner than normal from the Vietnamese National Military
Academy; at a time when the country was in danger. We had no battlefield experience at all. But after all, the Vietnam National Military Academy taught us all 3 military seasons.
 
I thought the 3 military seasons, that we studied at the Vietnamese National Military
Academy, were more than enough because the school didn't need to teach us anything more, especially military. As long as we really fought against the enemy many times, the battlefield would teach us valuable lessons. And we had the ability to learn quickly.

I kept walking like that for a while. And I did not know what time was it now? To me now, it seemed the time clock was no longer spinning. I turned around, and walked back towards the Hoang Hoa Tham camp. So I walked, I walked like a ghost on the road, walked away gracefully and slowly.

I did not know when I crossed the intersection of Bay Hien. In front of me, to the right is a hospital. "Republic General Hospital"? About 50 or 70 meters from the road. I did not know if my memory was correct or not? I sat down by the side of the road. I had no place to go, no home to go back to. I was helpless and lost in the South Vietnam's capital, Saigon, which I was supposed to protect in the next few days.
 
Light also began to appear in the distance. Who knew, last night was a terrible night. They destroyed each others in the Northeast battlefield, causing harm to many people. War. Power. It's absurd and cruel.
 
I stood up with my arms and went back to Hoang Hoa Tham camp. So I spent a sleepless night on the roadside.
 
At exactly 8 a.m. the next day, April 22, 1975, all the new Second Lieutenants of the course 28th and 29th; selected Airborne division; was at the presence in front of the Airborne officer yesterday. During the roll call, he noticed a number of absences. Who? How dare you dare to do late thing like this? Already having fun and goodbye. Enemies were everywhere. The country was on the way down. Why?
 
While we were gathering, and taking attendance, the Jeeps and GMCs were waiting with their engines on. Tanh and I were assigned to a Jeep about 50 meters from us.

The Airborne Sergeant Major raised his hand to greet the two of us, and said:
- "Two second lieutenants to get in the car, I will take you back to our unit".
The Jeep rolled, taking the two of us out of the Hoang Hoa Tham camp, in the silence, breath-holding atmosphere of the new military officers still standing.
 
We passed every road block. People was worry and disappointed. They worried. Was the Tet Offensive recurring or not? To our left was an accident. There were a few Red Cross staff who took care of and treated the victim. I thought maybe the victim, who was a young man about 16, 17 years old; lost his life because of his bleeding too much. The Jeep turned right and then stopped. I did not understand where was this place? and in which location of Saigon?

3. Cay Mai Camp (Cho Lon):
On the morning of April 22, 1975, Airborne Sergeant Major took us into a house on the left. The house was massive, seemed a bit old, and was sinking into a tense atmosphere. The Sergeant major took us to see a Major (later I learned his name was Nguyen Van Phu, Major Battalion Commander of the 15th Airborne Battalion, the hero Thuong Duc) 
 
I turned towards him, and saluted with dignity:
- "I, Second Lieutenant Nguyen Van Thanh, report to Major". He waved his hand:
- "OK." With a serious face, he didn't say another word. Tanh also presented like me.

He stood up and said to the Sergeant major:
- "Take care of these two Second Lieutenants kindly. Get ready for me two hours later. See me. The Sergeant major, respectfully:
- "Yes. Sir."
 
So the two of us had two hours of walking around the Airborne camp. I didn't know the name of the Airborne unit camp at that time? The airborne camp was empty. I saw not many paratroopers walking around here. They stepped forward, stepped backward; hasty look. The Sergeant major took us towards the house on the left. He talked non-stop, pointed fingers, and explained to us about this Parachute garrison. I just only remembered, he said:
- "This is the Cay Mai camp. Our battalion is the 15th Airborne Battalion, which was just formed not long ago."
 
That's what I remembered until today, and there's no chance of coming back that Airborne camp. Tanh and I looked at each other, and didn't say a word to each other. Sergeant major kept talking. His hands waved and waved, explaining all sorts of things.
 
From time to time, he look at us, as if secretly asking:
- "Do you two Second Lieutenants want to ask anything?" We looked at him. No questions at all.
Then he took us to the barracks on the right. He explained, explained, a lot. But we didn't pay attention.
 
In front of me were guns, ammo, equipment, military equipment, and food. So Tanh and I were equipped like a real Paratrooper. We received M16, helmet, three-pointed rope, one level of ammunition, 10 round grenades, and so on. That's all I remembered, until today.
I never had the chance to see that Sergeant major again. He was the one, who had a lot of experience in the battlefield, and sweated blood and blood for the South Vietnam.
 
We returned to meet the leader of the 15th Airborne Battalion. He happily rocked our hands, and, looked at the Sergeant Major, quietly ordered:
- "Send these 2 Second Lieutenants to the battlefield." Only that. Mr. Sergeant solemnly saluted:
- "Yes. Sir."
Mr. Battalion Commander encouraged us, but he could not hide sadness; worry:
- "Do your best! Good luck to both of you!" Tanh and I, standing respectfully, saluted:
- "Yes. Sir." He nodded, nodded, and said:
- "Okay. Let's go. Hurry up."
 
From the words and his facial expressions, I guessed that the 15th Airborne Battalion was in a state of misery and danger. I only met him for a few minutes. That was the first and last meeting until now.
 
Not the battlefield when I was a child of 7, 8, or 9, 10 years old at the Bau Can tea department, Le Trung district, Pleiku Province. At that time, we; a group of children in the village often fought together, divided into 2 factions, fought and shot each other.
 
I acted like a straw hero, stand aside, and said:
- "Who wants to join my side?", seemed a general. So a dozen kids, both fat and thin, raised their hands, and came toward me ready.
Others were being to the side with Tam and Vuong.
 
So we were on our side. They were the enemy side. We had a spectacular, heroic children's game; filled with joy. I thought I was a military general and leaded the army to destroy the enemy.

But we only shot each other with paper bullets. There was a devil who used bullets with small branches. Game over, we weren't seriously injured, though; some of us have a little bit of hurt, red skin, red flesh. It's kid's game, kid's fancy dream.
 
The game today was different from our old game. This time, they used real bullets, real bombs, real grenades and real blood. The war game, that people who was greedy for Money and Fame cause today, was terrible. I was a victim; among millions of millions of Vietnamese people had been suffering.
 
The car rolled, zigzagged, ended this road, turned off another mound. Finally, the soldier took us into a shack, and met a man; tall, pedestal; could not hide the majesty of the commander in the Airborne Troops. His skin was slightly tan tan; the brown of the wind and the tan of the battlefield. On his shoulder, there was 2 apricot flowers. That was the rank of lieutenant in the Army of the Republic of Vietnam.
 
4. To station troops in suburban Capital areas:

It was April 22, 1975, when I met him, I was suddenly startled. He was a senior cadet of course 25th that I had met around the Vietnamese National Military Academy that year. I thought not mistaken. Did he train me in tactics, or terrain, or weapons? But I did not know his name. At that time, in 1972, he was in the 2nd Battalion of the cadets, and I was in the A28.
 
Four or five meters away from him, I stood respectfully and saluted in proper manners:
- "Second Lieutenant Nguyen Van Thanh. Present to Lieutenant." I looked directly at him and raised my right hand in greeting.
 
Mr. Lieutenant; the leader of the company 151 Airborne Company, smiled; filled with anxiety. He came and shook my hand with love of the Vietnamese National Military Academy. Tanh presented him in the same manner as I did.

After greeting each other in military fashion, he introduced himself:
- "I'm N. Minh, class 25". Unfortunately, I only remembered the name of the older man, who I loved was Minh. I did not remember the his last name. He looked at me and asked:
- "Brother, which course?"; I answered:
- "Yes, Sir. Class 28." Faced with Tanh, he asked:
- "And you ?" Kindness, serious politeness, Tanh answered:
- "Yes. Sir. Class 29".
A formal greeting happened before many contemplative eyes of 9, 10 paratroopers around.
 
He waved his hand to a soldier; if I remembered correctly; was a Sergeant major. The soldier came over to greet him, and asked:
- "What do 15 want me to do" (I was surprised by this address, as soldiers often called their direct commander - teacher).
 
Later, I found out that the Airborne soldiers in the 151st company under his command all called him 15. This calling was really not good for me. I preferred to call him elder than 15. "Nien Truong!", these two words, these two sounds were something Sacred to officers from our Military Academy.
 
The Sergeant major brought two maps. So 15 (Chief Minh) gave me one card, and Tanh one card. He told Tanh:
- "Stay here, look around. Wait for me"; And turned to me, he said
politely:
- "Brother Thanh followed me". I said:
- "Yes. Sir." So I followed him. And that's when I left Tanh until today; my cute little brother; course 29.
 
He walked in front of me and I followed him, not saying a word to each other. We walked on the rough dirt road. This dirt road; went through a neighborhood, about ten houses. Moments later, in front of me was a group of Paratroopers, perhaps a platoon; less than 30 people.

From afar, the paratroopers cheered and shouted:
- "New teacher. New teacher. Da Lat officer. Da Lat officer."
- "New teacher. New teacher. Da Lat officer. Da Lat officer."
 
When we got there, they were silent and raised their hands in a greeting:
- Hi 15! Hi teacher!
- Hi 15! Hello teacher!, respectfully, but unable to hide the cheerful.
 
"Da Lat Officer"; These words. I had a feeling of "Immortal" in the hearts of the people of the South Vietnam, especially in the hearts of soldiers; whose directed commander was an Officer; graduated from the Vietnamese National Military Academy, during my later wandering period. Did not know when these words would be lost? Maybe these words Never Died - Immortal.
 
Mr. Minh shook my hand with solemn face:
- "This platoon is yours. Come on. Good luck." He turned and left in the direction of the company headquarters.
 
I stayed with the paratroopers, who were not afraid of enemies. Standing in front of the thick, misty soldiers, full of combat experience, I had no anxiety, fear, or panic. I was confident in my abilities; though I did not have any battlefield experience at all.
- In terms of literature, I had the ability to be their leader.
- In terms of martial arts, I also had the ability to be their
leader. Then, in front of them, what did I have to worry about and not be confident about?
 
Now, I would like to say something to the Vietnamese National Military Academy.
- "Thank you. Thank you, the Vietnamese National Military Academy."

The Vietnamese National Military Academy trained me for nearly 3 years and 4 months. The Military Academy gave me temporarily enough knowledge to become the lowest commander in the Army of the Republic of Vietnam. Especially 8 weeks of training course 31, I had the opportunity to stand in front of the army with all elements: good, bad, stubborn, stubborn; of South Vietnam society. Now it's time to use what I've learned from High School, and the Vietnamese National Military Academy.
 
I ordered the platoon to be assembled, except for the soldiers on guard duty. Immediately, all the fun, laughter, joy, and noise suddenly felt silent. I looked at my squad of paratroopers, and I said sternly:
- "Here. Who was the vice platoon?". The whole noisy bunch:
- Yes, Sir. There was no vice platoon.
-
Yes, Sir. There was no vice platoon.

There were a few soldiers who kept repeating the same thing over and over. I waved my hand, and they were all silent. I became their teacher naturally, without question. I asked:
- "Who's the team leader, here?" The three soldiers raised their hands and said:
- "Yes, Mr. Teacher"; One Sergeant major, and two First Sergeant.
I ordered Sergeant Major to assemble the platoon, and presented to me. Looking back beside me, two other soldiers and a messenger soldier did not enter the line. They understood, said:
- "Yes. The two of us were light soldiers.
- I was the messenger soldier."
So the two light soldiers and the
messenger soldier were not in one of the other three teams.
 
From here, the two light soldiers were my two arms. One was on the left and one was on the right. They did what my mother used to do; once I was with her.
 
I still remembered that year, when I came back home to visit my mother for the first time. I had on the summer uniform of the Vietnamese National Military Academy. My mother did not need to know; military etiquette, or I was wearing anything. She used her two hands to hold my head and naturally pressed to her knees; like I was just a little boy in the house; that she gave birth to. Mom did not even need to know how old I was. I protested profusely. My mother said:
- "Silver white hair. Gray white hair was all over there. Give me the gray white hair."
 
My mother was heartbroken; searched; plucked every silver gray white hair for me. I felt embarrassed at the passing eyes, but I knew what else to do. I had to give my consent to please mama.
In the Vietnamese National Military Academy, some of us had silver white hair; even though we were not old. And we often humed:
"Second lieutenant has not received,  silver gray white heads."
Mother's love, how to explain.
 
Food, clothes, pajamas, heavy things, and so on, especially the safety around me, now, belonged to these two light soldiers. And my ears, eyes, mouth, and tongue were in the young messenger soldier's hand; sober; discreetly, carrying the transmitter by my side all time.
 
We became a quartet from time to time. Which meant that; no matter where I was, there were definitely 3 of them by my side, except for special cases.
 
I allowed the 3 team leaders to leave the line, took attendance and reported. They reported:
- "The 1st team have 8 soldiers.
- The second team have 9 soldiers, and
- The third team have 7 soldiers (3 guards, 4 soldiers are here)".
So my 1st platoon consisted of 28 soldiers in all; both soldiers and officials. I ordered them to relax. They cheered loudly:
- "Parachute! Try!".
I had temporarily settled the roll call. Now it's defense.
 
I asked the 3 team leaders to take me to look at their defensive positions. It's thoughtful and sure. And this was where I looked around and observed the position of my 1st platoon.
 
A soldier brought an elderly couple to see me. They were the owners of this house. We stationed at their front yard and back garden. The polite old man said:
- "Hello Second Lieutenant. We leave, now."
- "This is our house. It's not safe here. There's little food and water in the house are free. Please, Second Lieutenant and your soldiers are welcome. Good luck to the second Lieutenant and the soldiers. Having fun and luck."
 
He said nervously and hopeless. The grandparents bowed to us once more and left their beloved home. Tears welled up; anxious; concerned; in utter despair. Moments later, they disappeared beyond the shack, ramshackle.
 
The location of the 151st Airborne Company was a small hamlet. My 1st Platoon was at the outermost. In other words, we were at the edge of the village. Before me, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., there was a dry, harvested field. The field was dry. The field, had no water, 60, or 80, or 100 meters away from us, were fields of fields; interconnected to other villages; in front.
 
Two light infantrymen took me to a large
battle hole about 30 meters from the edge of the village; gently said:
- "Teacher. This hole belongs to you. We are here."
 
They showed me two battle holes next to me, about 3 meters away from me. One was on the left, and the other was on the right."
I looked at the battle hole, which they had dug for me since I did not know. My battle hole was bigger than theirs. They explained:
- "This battle hole is for you, and the guy (the messenger soldier)".
 
Unfortunately, I could not remember the names of these three close, heroic, and heroic Airborne soldiers.
 
Everything was arranged in the unit and the security was fine, but there were many whispers and rumors. Five or seven paratroopers spoke from afar:
- "Teacher. Could you teach us Taekwondo?"
 
Then the whole crowd gathered in front of me. I went from one surprise to another. In the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, there was there such a kind, diligent, and cute soldiers?
 
I looked at them, from one to another, throbbed with joy, I asked each word slowly:
"Do you want me to teach you Taekwondo?"
Same series of answers:
- "Yes. Sir."
- "Yes. Sir."
The soldier was thin and thin; Commissioned; this was probably the clever guy of the 1st platoon,  approaching, two meters away from me, solemnly said:
- "Mr. 15 often teach us Taekwondo. Teacher! Teach us! Teacher!"
 
A plea, a prayer came to me at this moment. The time when we prepared for a landslide battle.
 
I looked at them, spoke slowly; that was to ask; but my heart had an indescribable joy:
"Now or what?"
- "Yes...
- Yes...
- Yes...." 
 
The sound resounded as if to tear the enemy's heart. Howling for me, because I studied Taekwondo at the Vietnamese National Military Academy, if I studied Judo, it would be difficult to talk to the soldiers. right in this situation.
 
At this point, I would like to say a few words of thanks to my beloved elder. Mr. Minh; course 25. Thank you, Sir. You had worked hard to create a mighty and powerful platoon, which I inherited. I silently told myself that; I would support you to train our soldiers diligently, so that they would have a chance to survive in close combat in the future. But that wish never came true.
 
So they all gathered together and waited. I asked 2 Sergeants:
"How was the security?"
- "Yes. Sir. You can rest assured. We are always careful. You do not have to worry.".
 
 I let my soldiers practicing a little easier than the cadets of course 31st. Twenty minutes later, I gave them a breather, but they didn't seem satisfied.
 
Everyone was a bit tired. I said solemnly:
- "I know you guys want to keep practicing, but we need to save our strength for when we need to."

A group of young men; not the same father, not the same mother; not of the same religion; not having the same interests; not from the same village, they only had the same one thing. It was the same color Red Hat.
 They hugged each other and danced, laughed as if catching a precious object, which they had longed for. Their direct command was a Da Lat Officer.
 
The soldiers were rejoicing, the messenger soldier shouted:
- "15 call the teacher." I asked:
"Call me go where?". He replied:
- "Yes. Sir. Go to the company headquarters."
I did not understand. 15 called me back to have something to advise. Slightly nervous, I walked away. Two light soldiers followed me closely. I turned around and said:
- "What are you two following me for?" Both answered affirmatively:
- "Yes. We have the duty to protect you". I had no other way.
 
From a distance, I saw 15 sitting and chatting with an old man in the village. I whispered to the two light soldiers:
- "Stand a bit away. Let easy to the old man". They say:
- "Yes. Sir", then they got far away from us.

 
6. Keeping security in the south of Binh Trieu bridge - The group ran to the capital?
On the afternoon of April 27, 1975, I was ordered to withdraw my troops to the church. After that, my platoon moved with the 151st Parachute company. It was a gloomy afternoon, but the sheep of Gods and the people of the area; not tired; clustered into many small groups; gave us food and water with the love of the people. Their eyes could not hide their sorrow; fear; mixed with overflowing hope.
- "Do your best. Paratroopers."
- "Do your best. Paratroopers."
Their mouths weeped. Their eyes were teary. Every tear, every tear poured out from the gentle heart of the sincere Southern people.
 
I walked with a heart full of consolation. That's why the ARVN fights. We fought for our people. We fought to bring Freedom to the people of the South. Taking a look at all the battles, when war broke out anywhere, people always ran towards the National Army (ARVN) to seek cover, ambulance and help. ARVN; an army, one hand fought the enemy, one hand saved the people.
 
The 1st Platoon moved; in a row, on the right side of the road. I moved on their left. Sometime,  I was near the front of the line. Sometime, I was near the end of the line. Every time I was near a soldier, I met eyes that looked at me as if for being protected. The eyes could not be described in words. My eyes, my gestures, my countenance, and my confidence were their hope. They gave their lives to a young soldier military officer, who had just eaten a few days of Parachute's meal. I said to myself, "You guys have trusted the right people. Don't worry."
 
I did not know how long it took, we arrived at a neighbor's house; along both sides of the road. There were some 2-story houses, some 3-story houses. Occasionally, a few rays of the eye peeked out from the window; same anxiety. The road became quiet, suffocating. A few houses were ramshackle, wooden walls, holes, damaged. My feeling was not good. I extended my left hand, towards the last team soldiers, and waved it from where they were across the street, saying:
- "Two rows."

Immediately my platoon had a two-row formation, ready to fight. I had a feeling that the 151st company was collecting troops (retreating, withdrawing, or withdrawing). The faces of my soldiers were no more innocent; like in the past days, but could not hide the pride of the Paratroopers.

I started to turn right. In front is a reinforced concrete bridge (now I know the name, Binh Trieu Bridge). The water was still flowing gently under the bridge as usual, but it looked annoyed as our army marched past. This was an unlucky sign for the river. Crossing the bridge, we went down a small slope. At the end of the slope, the path swerved to the left, and climbed a slightly elevated slope. I was ordered to station at this position. My right row occupied 3 houses, and my left row occupied 2 houses, which used for defense.
 
I ordered the soldiers to ask the people in these houses temporarily moving to another place; to avoid a gun collision. I entered the house on the right, climbed to the top. A woman; about 40 or so and her son, 9, or 10 years old, were packing the clothes and things needed for the departure. I said:
- "Please leave this place for a while. When it's safe, you'll come back."
 
She paused, looked at me with concern; just freaked out:
- "Hello, Second Lieutenant. Is it dangerous, Second Lieutenant?" I answered:
- "I don't know. Mom."
Mother and son disappeared from their beloved home, full of bitterness and pain.
 
The clock's needles kept turning, waiting for no one. The sun wanted to escape from us too. I took to the road for controlling the platoon's defenses. We used 5 houses. Three houses had upper floors.

From the slopes, a three-wheeler gently rolled in our direction, and stopped when two of my soldiers stopped for security. Someone ran up to me and whispered:
- "Teacher. People around here, bring us food, and water. Accept it, teacher?"
 
I said softly:
- "Be careful. Beware of guerrillas. One person per squad. Bring back and distribute to brothers."

Looking into the distance, woman, who was the house owner that I occupied, smiled cheerfully, and nodded to me. I nodded to her, thanking her.
 
I secretly admired the love of the people for us in the past few days.
The shelling became more and more intense, especially tonight, April 29, 1975.
 
The past few days, even though I had not heard the news, I could still guess; was that some of us have gone. People gone, people stayed. Those who had a chance, gone. People who had no chance, stayed. We were warriors. We had to keep those going and staying safe.
 
Early in the morning of April 30, 1975, I was ordered to leave my defensive position, and advanced to station in the South of Binh Trieu bridgehead. In front of me, there were people, all kinds of people. Especially our soldiers (ARVN soldiers). Some of them even had guns in their hands. There were even vehicles carrying 50 machine guns. I ordered the soldier to transmit:
- "Question 15. Our soldiers are too crowded from all over the battle fields coming here. What to do now?"
 
In less than three seconds, he said:
- "15 Commands to you - Stop them"
 
Seeing the ARVN troops from afar made my heart worry. I went through a terrible retreat; from Da Lat to Binh Tuy. Last March, cadets of the Vietnamese National Military Academy, soldiers from all over the areas, and people crowded together to leave Da Lat. The chaos, confusion, difficulties and dangers were clearly visible in front of my eyes right now.
 
In front of me, on the right side of the road, a coil of barbed wire appeared from where I did not know. So lucky for me. I ordered two or three soldiers:
- "Stretch the barbed wire. Stop them."
 
So the coil of barbed wire was ready to wait for the troops; the soldiers of the Republic of Vietnam; with the people, running back from Central, Long Khanh or Bien Hoa... They were still 50 meters away from me. I stepped out into the middle of the road and asked loudly:
- "Listen soldiers. Were all defenses done?" Many replied from both sides:
- "Yes. Sir. Done."
The distance from coils of barbed wire; simple; to the nearest soldier was at about 30 meters. I walked towards the barbed wire. The two light soldiers and messengers followed in my footsteps. We stood in line. I stood in the middle. On both sides were two light soldiers. The messenger stood behind me.

So 4 paratroopers, 1 officer and 3 soldiers were ready to stop the stormy advance of a fleeing army looking to the horizon. I lamented. My life must had ended here.
 
"Do not chase dogs to the end",or in other words:
"Never block the retreat of a defeated army."
What about me now. What army was in front of me? Was there any military documentary to help me in this situation? Meanwhile, the military commander ordered:
- "Stop them." 
 
What was "Stop them?"
 
My platoon had only less than 30 men, with a sketchy roll of barbed wire. We had to stop the advance of a caravan; tens of thousands of soldiers? or fifty thousands of soldiers? or hundreds of thousands of soldiers? I could not estimate. They were eager rushing towards us; gun in hand, as if they wanted to swallow small prey alive. The waterfall of soldiers in front of me was terrible.
 
Three soldiers next to me, worriedly asked:
- "Teacher. What should we do now?" I had no way of answering. How? How?
 
The soldiers moved in advance had just arrived. I put my hand out to stop them. In front of me, several officers of the rank of Captain and below. Most are non-commissioned officers and soldiers. They were represented all kinds of military soldiers. I looked at them with determination:
- "Dear officers, and fellow soldiers. I'm Nguyen Van Thanh, Da Lat officer class 28 (I was shy when I expressed where I graduated from, but I had my reasons)."
- "I'm the commander of the Airborne Unit here. I have a duty to keep Saigon's capital safe here. If anyone steps over this sketchy barbed wire fence, without my orders, my soldiers will, will open fire."
 
Immediately I turned to the Paratroopers and ordered:
- "The Parachute Brothers listen to orders. Anyone; step over this fence without my orders. I give you orders - Shoot."
 
 All felt silent. Everyone in front of me, from officials to soldiers, no one dared to move, gossiping. That's lucky for me. The light soldiers were afraid, saying:
- "The teacher is standing here. Will our soldiers kill you?" I answered with certainty:
- "Just shoot. What if I die? Just fire." I said to the two light soldiers:
"You two go to your defensive positions." They said reluctantly:
"We have to protect the teacher." I shouted loudly:
- "Go now."
- "Yes. Sir." So they left me without heart. I turned back. Looking at the person carrying the device, I said:
"You go too."
- "Yes. Sir."
Everyone from officials to soldiers; standing about 20 meters away from me hearing clearly, every word of my conversation with the Paratroopers in the unit.

Looking through the crowd, I spoke softly, but spoke loudly enough to be heard clearly behind:
- "May the officers and soldiers rest in peace. Our unit leader will handle your entry into the center of Saigon well. Because there is already a number of Guerrillas, and the Communists mingled among us. Please be on your guard." The crowd was relieved, and understood the importance of their need to stop.

I looked at the lieutenant, the commander of the GMC on the right, 20 meters away from me, politely asked for permission:
- "Please, lieutenant, point the machine gun to the rear. If necessary, we can fight against the enemies in time." The lieutenant ordered the gunner to do as I asked.
 
 Everything went smoothly. I breathed a sigh of relief. My breath was not finished, from the left side came a hasty, weary voice:
- "Mr. Thanh. I am ... class 26." A clustered head came from the left, beyond the barbed wire. I was surprised:
- "Eh. Hello, elder." I raised my right hand; hello Mr. Special Forces lieutenant. He was my senior of the 26th class, whom I met on the field of the Vietnamese National Military Academy that year.
 
Hello, but my heart did not know what to do, because when he called my name; Which meant he wanted permission to go through my barrier. I did not understand why I blurted out asking him:
- "Do you want to join our Parachute unit, and keep the security at this location?" I got a blunt answer:
- "Want. Why don't I want to." I approached him and asked:
- "Why is the elder in such a mess?" He shook his head and said:
- "My unit fought until ran out of ammunition, and there was no supply. So, we had to escape by ourselves."
 
We weren't done greetings, but in succession, several sounds sounded familiar:
- "Mr. Thanh. I'm class 24."
- "Mr. Thanh. I'm class 23."
- "Mr. Thanh. I'm class 27."
- "Senior. I'm 30."...
In all, there were more than 10 military officers graduated from the Vietnamese National Military Academy. I repeated the question I asked the 26th class, in a loud voice; so that all who stood before me may hear clearly:
- "I asked the elders, and I turned my face to the 30th cadet. Do you all want to join my Parachute unit here???" They replied in unison:
- "Yes."
- "Yes"
- "Yes"...
I said aloud:
- "All you stand separately on this side." I pointed to the leftmost side; the other side of the fence." So the military officers graduated from the Vietnamese National Military Academy, from old to young, gathered to one side.
 
I turned back looking for  the messenger soldier. What a surprise, my messenger did not leave me half a step; since I ordered him to take his defensive position.
- "You asked 15. There are more than 10 officers from Da Lat here, who want to join our Airborne unit. Does he want to accept them?"
 
A sound came from the mouthpiece, coming out so clearly that everyone could hear it:
- "Yes. Bring them in here."
 
This was when I exhale softly, I said:
- "Dear officers and soldiers. My unit leader wants to receive these Da Lat officers and integrate them into our Airborne unit; here. Please rest assured, stand stay in place."

At this point, I would like to thank the patience of my officers and soldiers of that day. By your understanding that we avoided an unnecessary bloodshed - "Our troops shot our own".
I had to follow the military orders. My soldiers had to follow the military orders. And all of us also had to follow military orders. And because of the military orders that our blood was shed and our heads falled.
 
At about 11:15 a.m., the messenger soldier whispered into my ear:
- "Teacher. 15 orders. Go." Meant retreat in the direction of the company.
 
I immediately moved to the distance, stood in the middle of the road, facing to the left (in the direction of our retreat, from the south of Binh Trieu Bridge to the south), ordered:
- "Soldiers. Listen. All the soldiers are in front of me. Immediately go to the right."

So I had moved my troops to the right, ready to move. I went to the end of the barbed wire, and pulled it to one side. The ban was open. And the bees began to break the hive.


Meanwhile, the 5th Airborne Brigade; where Second Lieutenant Nguyen Tuong Class 28, Nguyen Van Man Class 28, Nguyen Van Sang Class 28, Tran Van Ly Class 28, etc., of the 16th Battalion, were on the way Truong Minh Giang to Van Hanh University. Looked at their bravado.
 
A line along the right side of the road we followed in the footsteps of the 151st company. We climbed up the small slope, and moved straight. Sweat soaked my bra underneath, but I didn't feel tired. The fatigue I feel was why did we have to retreat?
 
I looked around for unusual stationing orders. In front of me, on the right, there were buildings of 4, or 5, or 7 floors, etc.

And;
In front of me, there was an open field, half the size of a stadium. The Paratroopers gathered in great numbers. They gathered in large groups, in small groups. I did not understand which unit they belonged to. Now I can guess. They might be the 15th Parachute Battalion, because we're in the 15th Parachute Battalion. And this was our collection position.
 
Suddenly we heard a ruckus; over and over again; from loudspeakers; clearly, Duong Van Minh's words Surrendered:
"I, General Duong Van Minh, President of the Saigon government, call on the ARVN to lay down its weapons and surrender unconditionally to the Liberation Army of South Vietnam. I declare the Saigon government from central to local levels must be completely disbanded. From the central to local levels, it must be handed over to the provisional revolutionary government of Southern Vietnam."

At that time, the sun was already high. It was beautiful sunny day today and good climate. Sweat drenched my body. But why did I feel cold from head to toe, from foot to hand. My limbs could no longer move, numb. Was this a Military Order? It's correct. This was the Military Order. Surrender Order.
 
I was a young man. The age just passed 20. How did I accept this Military Order? Swearing, swearing, cursing; followed, echoing a corner of the sky, like the earth shaking, the sea collapsing.
 
What was the meaning of "God defeats Evil"?

Two light soldiers whispered in my ear:
- "What should we do now? Sir."
Look at the two close soldiers. My eyes were bloodshot, red and didn't answer. Some of my soldiers shouted; along with the sound of gunfire from far away; 50 or 70 meters from us:
"Looks like they want to commit suicide, sir."

Suicidal. These sounds just crossed my mind. But I suddenly woke up. I regained my composure, sternly, said:
- "Soldiers of the 1st Platoon, gathered here."
- "Yes." The sound echoed in the bitter, choking sound.
 
The 1st Platoon soldiers came close to me. I saw some other Paratroopers; behind my soldiers, walking back and forth in anger, bewildered like a snake without its head.
 
Maybe they're from the 151st Parachute Company. I said out loud for them to hear:
- "The Parachute soldiers from other side. Come here."
- "The Parachute soldiers from other side. Come here."

I pointed at them, as if ordering. My soldiers continued to breathe:
- "Come here. You guys"
- "Over here. You guys"
 
Then another large number of paratroopers drew near me. The mighty Paratroopers, over 100 men, formed an arc in front of me. I looked at them. I glanced over most of them. They were strong, indomitable eyes. Now they knew small tears.
 
- "How? Mr..."
- "How? second Lieutenant..."
- "How? Mr..."
- "How? second Lieutenant..."
 
The sounds of begging for help; sending faith were not very big, but resounding, resounding until today, April 30, 2022, or beyond.

I gestured them to be quiet. I said slowly word by word:
 
- "I know you guys are not satisfied. You are resentful, angry."
"You guys are suffering, desperate."
- "You guys are regretting, not orange."
- "and no give up, because you're Paratroopers."
 
- "I'm like you. I'm an officer from Da Lat. My wish is to die while wearing this Parachute suit."
 
I put my finger and pointed at my military uniform, taking a look at them. I saw the frenzied firelight seem to have waned somewhat. I continued:
 
- "My final responsibility; the smallest level of command in the ARVN; is to ask you..." 

I stopped talking and looked at them. The cute eyes sent towards me, as if saying:
 
- "Yes. We listen." I continued:
- "Now... I ask you..."
 
They tried to listen. I continued:
- "Now..."
I talked slowly:
 
- "You guys take the bullets out of the barrel... Carefully put it on the ground, in one place, behind you."
I pointed my hand towards their backs.
 
The sound of bullets; expertly removed from the barrel, resounding with regret. I gave my M16 and ammo to the light soldier.
 
After giving up the gun; our inseparables; indomitable paratroopers, they approached me again and waited...
I emphasized every word:
 
- "Each one of you, please try to return to your family..."

Their tanned faces of the battlefield, beginning to mix with the color of tears, I continued:
 
-"A few of you; a little older than me. The rest; younger than me."
- "You guys are very young. Let's go home."
"Go back to your parents, brothers."
- "Go back to your relatives. They are waiting for you every day, every hour..."
- "Get married, have children, create the next generation."
I stopped talking and looked at them.
 
- "What about you. Sir?"
- "What about you. Second lieutenant?"
- "What about you. Sir?"
- "What about you. Second lieutenant?"

I looked at them and couldn't hide my feelings of separation. I replied desperately:
 
- "I will find General Nguyen Khoa Nam." Immediately they were noisy again, as noisy as going out; go to the cinema:
 
- "Let me go with you. Sir..."
- "Let me come with you. Second lieutenant..."
 
I shook my head resolutely:
- "No. I Can't bring you guys with me."
- "Listen to me. Go home. Go home. Go home..."
 
The Airborne Soldiers; my heroism; seemed to understand the importance of life. They began to back away, their heads down, tears welling up in their eyes. They looked at me one last time, and slowly turned their backs...
 
I waved my hand apologetically. The two light soldiers and the messenger brother, stood still:
- "Teacher. Let three of us follow you..."
I advise:
- "Enough. Listen to me..."

One by one, each Parachute soldier one after another left the suffering land. They were lost in bitterness, choking. Looking around, I was the only one standing.
I said to myself, like goodbye. A farewell without an appointment:
"Sorry. I can't teach you what you want to learn.
Bye  Bye.. my paratroopers; my nameless heroic."
 
I was the last to leave this place. A place deeply imprinted for changing my life. Guns, bullets, helmets, battle gear, machinery, ... were lying around, waving cloth everywhere, along with other items, creating a dreary situation for the country for thousands of years.

My body was still moving, but my soul was numb. I thought I was wandering in some Hell in my country. My heart raced. My heart was lost. My soul was dead. I was like a wild animal being wounded by bullets and arrows. I carried deep wound and bloody. I dragged, trudged on the road and the market corner.

The centipedes also began to bend; reaching out, and out of the places where people coming to worship, or the "Darkest" place of the South Vietnam. The opportunity had coming. They freely teared and crushed the heart of the Vietnamese mother. I carried a "Wound there's no Cure" until now.

 Mother! I was still young;
Protecting Country, Country is Lost
Building Home, Home is Burned

 
It was late at night, the street lights were dim, the places were dim, and the places were clear. Somewhere in the ruined capital Saigon; to the southwest of Binh Trieu Bridge, people did not bother to see me. I was a young man, just only more than 20 years old; lethargy, heartache like cutting, head bowed in hunger; cold and thirsty, frustrating, but could not hide the pride of a man, at the time of "Country is occupied by enemies." Sometimes, people passed around. Me. I only remembered:"Once upon a time, I stepped on the street, called Alpha and rolled around under the trenches of the Vietnamese National Military Academy."
***************************
 
*********** END *********

No comments: